About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019); AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021); and HOW WE BECAME POST-LIBERAL: THE RISE AND FALL OF TOLERATION (2024).

Thursday, June 07, 2007

How much foolishness can you take from Cardinal Pell?

Sometimes I feel I've simply had enough. For the past few days, the Australian media have been feeding us a steady diet of foolishness from the local head of the Great Queen Spider Cult, Cardinal George Pell. For reasons that completely elude me, the egregious Pell imagines himself to be some kind of authority on morals.

He is now blathering about how unfortunate it is that the New South Wales lower house of parliament voted yesterday to amend state legislation - bringing into line with federal law that allows therapeutic cloning research (under absurdly tight constraints).

Yes, Pell - how dreadful that NSW will now allow medical research that just might save some people from the burdens of horrific diseases. How dreadful that this may involve the destruction of entities that have no sentience or rationality whatsoever. Once again, we see why the Spider Cult Vatican deserves absolutely no respect from any decent person with an ounce of human feeling.

Pell claims that he is still hopeful that the legislation will be blocked in the upper house later this month.

"I regret the vote of the NSW legislative assembly on cloning and hope that the legislative council will be better informed," he is quoted as saying.

Pass me the sick bag. I can't stomach Pell or the entire cult of misery that he represents.

3 comments:

Blake Stacey said...

Yech. I suppose Pell would let a child die in burning building to save a tray of frozen embryos. Anything to please the Almighty Spider Queen.

Blake Stacey said...

Vatican tells Catholics to abandon Amnesty International.

I'm not sure what to say about that.

Russell Blackford said...

Thanks for this, Blake - I hadn't seen it. The Great Queen Spider strikes again.